Yale Powers Past Bears

NEW HAVEN, Conn. –  It’s been three full weeks since they played a home game, and the Bulldogs looked happy to be in their house tonight. Antoine Lagainere’s two goals and one assist, and Andrew Miller’s goal and two-assist night propelled the No. 13/15 Yale men’s hockey team to a four-power-play goal night in a come-from-behind, 4-3 ECAC Hockey win over Brown before a sellout crowd at Ingalls Rink.

The Bulldogs (6-2-1, 3-2-0 ECAC), winners of four straight, erased 2-0 and 3-1 deficits and scored three straight times to close out the second period with a lead they would hold on to despite being outshot 14-6 in the final frame.

The four power-play tallies are the most by an Eli squad since Jan. 16, 2010, when Yale had five at home against Brown in an 8-5 win. Yale needed just seven attempts (and 12 shots on target) tonight to get to the four while outshooting the Bears overall, 37-30.

“It (the power play) just worked today. We were working pretty well, even in the first period, but it finally worked in the second,” said Laganiere, who leads the team with 13 points.

Brown (3-5-2), which went 1-for-4 on the advantage, got goals from three different players and 33 saves from Marco DeFilippo.

Nick Maricic got the start in the Yale net and gave up a pair of goals on five shots before being replaced with six minutes left in the first period. Fellow senior Jeff Malcolm stopped 22 of 23 shots in relief to get his fifth win of the year.

“We played really well. We had a good start despite falling behind. We stuck with it and played better in the second period, which caused us to draw some of the penalties,” said Keith Allain ’80, Yale’s Malcolm G. Chace Head Coach.

Brown blueliner Dennis Robertson opened the scoring with a long shot from the point that went through traffic and found the net on the ice at 10:22.

Chris Zaires made it 2-0 less than four minutes later when he converted a nice feed from Matt Wahl at 14:00. Zaires received the pass above the crease on the left side, swung around and sent it inside right post.  That was the last shot taken on Maricic, who finished with five saves.

Malcolm came in to stop the final two Bear shots of the frame, while his teammates got one back at the other end.

Junior defenseman Gus Young did most of the work on the Yale goal at 17:24 on a brief power play. Trent Ruffolo chipped the puck to the point for Young, who deked a defender and skated around him along the boards before flicking a shot off DeFilippo’s blocker. Young got his own rebound, went behind the net and headed left. He cut back to the right and flipped a pass to Laganiere. The big senior banged it back low glove side from eight feet away to make it 2-1.
Miller had a great chance in the early seconds of the middle frame to get the equalizer, but his mini-breakaway attempt was stopped by the Brown netminder. It came back to bite the Bulldogs because the Bears jumped all over their second advantage to grab the two-goal lead back. Massimo Lamacchia saved a Yale clearing attempt and hit Matt Lorito with a crossing pass. The sophomore forward connected with Matt Harlow, who flicked it into the net and gave the visitors a 3-1 edge.

Yale again cut the lead to one, and it came off a draw in the Brown end. Jesse Root won the faceoff and got it back to Miller, who quickly moved from left to right for Kenny Agostino, whose one-timer from the top of the right circle went top right corner at 7:53.

The Blue used a two-man advantage to get the equalizer and get its first lead. After Allain called a timeout, Miller saved an errant pass from leaving the zone and then skated to the top of the right circle. The senior captain unleashed a low blast that whizzed past DeFilippo’s glove at 17:31.

Still up a man, Laganiere gathered a pass from Miller in the right circle and swooped into the high slot before snapping off a wrister that hit the net with 1:55 left to make it 4-3 and give the senior forward a team-best eighth goal of the year.

Yale outshot Brown 17-7 that period, but it was a different story in the third. The Bears peppered Malcolm with rubber and came close to getting a goal numerous times.

“They (Brown) really pushed hard at the end,” said Allain. “They were taking chances offensively, which is what teams do when they are behind. We did a good job of back-checking and covering sticks in front of the net. Jeff Malcolm did a heck of job for us in the third period.”

Robertson was called for a penalty with 1:01 left, but the Bears pulled their goalie and make it 5-on-5 while continuing the pressure. Malcolm came up big time after time to notch the win.
“We are kind of on a streak right now, and we need to work hard and focus on the system to keep it going,” said Laganiere.