Dartmouth Earns Third-Place Finish

Photo by Mark Washburn
Photo by Mark Washburn
Play Video

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – The Dartmouth men's hockey team ended its season on a high note by taking a 5-3 victory over Colgate in the consolation game of the ECAC Hockey Championships on Saturday afternoon at Boardwalk Hall. The Big Green finished the year with a 19-12-3 record, its best since an 18-12-2 mark in 2006-07.

Colgate got on the board first at 12:19 after both teams seemed to take some time getting going. Robbie Bourdon took a shot from an odd angle on James Mello (Rehoboth, Mass.), sending the puck past the netminder on his stick side.

The Big Green quickly took over, scoring two power-play goals to give them the 2-1 lead going into the first break. Connor Goggin (Glen Ellyn, Ill.) took a tremendous shot from the blueline with three seconds in Dartmouth's first power-play chance to tie the game before Matt Lindblad (Winnetka, Ill.) scored the go-ahead with an unbelievable backhand past Colgate's Eric Mihalik.

The Big Green held the advantage not only in goals but in shots, 14-5 going into the locker room.

Rob Smith (Brooks, Alta.) gave Dartmouth some cushion early into the second period as he followed through on a Kyle Reeds (St. Louis, Mo.) shot from the boards. Evan Stephens (Bessemer, Mich.) helped set the play up to get the second assist.

A penalty-filled second period for both teams had each side scoring goals as Colgate closed the gap to 4-3 after scoring during an extended five minute penalty to the Big Green.

Francois Brisebois scored his team-leading 17th goal of the season with just forty two seconds left in the major but Adam Estoclet(Orono, Minn.) potted a flashy goal from out front to put his team back up by two.

Scott Fleming (Plainfield, Ont.), who had two short-handed shots during the major, got the puck along the boards behind the goal and chipped it out front to Estoclet who went down to one knee and lifted the puck over netminder, Eric Mihalik.

A big slapshot from the blue line by Mike Leidl, that was chipped in by Bourdon, with under four minutes left in the game gave the Raiders another one back after Colgate had been knocking on the door for several minutes, trying to find a way to solve Mello.

Mello finished with 20 saves and had a 17-9-3 record while Mihalik made 29 saves and finished the year at 8-15-2.