Dartmouth Blanked by Cornell in Semifinals

Photo by Mark Washburn
Photo by Mark Washburn
Play Video

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – All the scoring in the ECAC Hockey semifinal game between the Big Green and Cornell (16-14-3) on Friday night was in the first period as the Big Red took a late 2-0 lead it never relinquished, defeating the Dartmouth (18-12-3) men's hockey team, 3-0 on Friday night. The Big Green and Colgate will meet on Saturday in the Consolation game at 4:30 p.m.

Despite playing a fairly even first period with both teams having their share of chances, Dartmouth looked like it was starting to gain the edge but Cornell grabbed the momentum with under two minutes left in the frame. The Big Red scored twice in a matter of twenty seconds to take a quick lead.

The Big Green had several chances early as Matt Lindblad's (Winnetka, Ill.) backhand was fallen on by Cornell goalie Mike Garman and then Doug Jones' (Marietta, Ga.) point-blank shot was saved high.

The first Big Red score came on a third-chance rebound. Greg Miller took the initial shot that netminder James Mello (Rehoboth, Mass.) saved back to Tyler Roeszler. The Cornell senior jammed another one back on Mello as the rebound came straight back to his teammate, Sean Whitney who was waiting between the circles. His one-timer went sailing past Mello for the score.

The Big Red lit the lamp again after capitalizing on a Dartmouth turnover just past center ice. Sean Collins brought the puck down and took a shot on Mello that the junior thought he had saved, instead it squeaked through his pads. Armand de Swardt was there to sweep it across the line for his first tally of the year.

It was an even second period as neither team was able to crack the goal line. The Big Green again had some quality chances as Dartmouth had four power play opportunities in the frame but the Big Red killed off every one. Lindblad used the waning seconds to put several shots on Garman but he just couldn't break through.

Any empty net strike in the third put the capper on the evening as the Big Red moved onto the Championship game for the 13th time in school history. It's just the second shutout the Big Green has had this season as Garman finished the game with 37 saves, earning his first career shutout. Mello had 15 saves for Dartmouth.