Dartmouth Edges Harvard in Overtime, Lives to Play Another Day

HANOVER, N.H. - In a must-win game for the Dartmouth men's hockey team, seniors proved how much they wanted to even the Quarterfinal series with Harvard as Adam Estoclet (Orono, Minn.) and Andrew Owsiak (Moose Jaw, Sask.) potted the two goals in the 2-1 overtime victory on Saturday night in Thompson Arena.

Owsiak's goal came on his only shot of the game just minutes into the extra-frame. The two teams will now square off on Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. in the deciding game as the winner will head to Atlantic City, N.J. and the ECAC Hockey Championships.

Estoclet gave Dartmouth (17-11-3) the early lead after he ripped one home from the left side circle with under 6:00 to play in the opening period. Evan Stephens (Bessemer, Mich.) pushed the puck up along the boards, passing across ice to Scott Fleming (Plainfield, Ont.) who was waiting to the right of the cage. Fleming immediately passed to the other side as Estoclet waited with his stick down.

The Big Green put a flurry of shots on Crimson (12-11-1) goalie, Ryan Carroll at the end of the contest but could not an insurance goal as time wound down. The two went into the first break tied in shots, 9-9 but Dartmouth held the lead in faceoffs, 20-9. Early in the period the Big Green had won all nine of the faceoffs before Harvard was able to get one.

A fairly even second period had both sides with chances but each goalie was able to make the necessary saves in their respective ends. James Mello (Rehoboth, Mass.) withstood several flurries as the junior goalie appeared unflappable through the first forty minutes of play.

Harvard made things interesting after potting a power play goal midway through the third. Chris Huxley took a shot that rang off the post as Alex Killorn was there to gather the puck and put another shot on net. Michael Biega was in front of the net as the senior was able to get his stick down and help the puck sail over Mello for the equalizer.

The two sides came out to play a full twenty minute overtime but Owsiak wouldn't hear of it as he scored his second goal of the season, 1:37 into the OT frame to lift the Big Green to victory.

Mello is now 15-8-3 on the season as he finished with 24 saves. Carroll had 25 saves and fell to 9-9.