Quinnipiac Sweeps Brown with Second Straight Shutout

Photo by Jonathan Bateman/Brown Daily Herald
Photo by Jonathan Bateman/Brown Daily Herald

HAMDEN, CT – Quinnipiac (15-13-8) scored two goals in each of the final two periods to earn back-to-back shutouts over the Brown men’s hockey team (10-16-5) in game two of the ECAC Hockey Best-of-Three First Round Series Saturday evening at the TD Bank Sports Center. The loss marks the end of the Bears’ 2010-11 campaign, as Quinnipiac advances to the 2011 ECAC Quarterfinals.

The two teams played a scoreless opening period with Quinnipiac holding an 8-5 advantage in shots, while earning three straight power play chances after an initial Brown power play in the fifth minute. The Bears’ narrowly escaped falling behind in the 15th minute of the period when an apparent Quinnipiac power play goal was waved off due to a hand pass.

The Bobcats’ third man-advantage of the frame carried 1:28 over into the second period and just 35 seconds into the period, Zack Currie gave Quinnipiac a 1-0 lead when his blast from the left point beat junior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) through a screen.

Then just 1:50 later, Jeremy Langlois doubled Quinnipiac’s lead when his shot from the left side of the crease popped over Clemente’s head, before falling into the paint behind the goal line at 2:25, forcing Bears’ coach Brendan Whittet to use his timeout.

Quinnipiac opened the final period with a full two-minute power play after an interference call on senior David Brownschidle (Lawrenceville, NJ) as time expired in the second. Brown killed the threat to keep the score within two, as the Bears hoped to extend their season.

Brown earned a power play of its own, the fourth of the night for the Bears, 2:28 after the kill expired, but Brown was unable to solve Quinnipiac’s Eric Hartzell, facing the possibility of getting shutout in consecutive games, something that has not happened to a Bears’ team since the 2003-2004 season.

The Bears earned their second man-advantage of the period in the 10th minute, but a Brown penalty just eight seconds into the power play negated the advantage, sending four players to the ice for each team.

As they did last night, the Bobcats scored during the four-on-four play, taking a 3-0 lead at 10:55 when Zach Hansen’s shot popped over Clemente’s head and into the net after the junior had made the initial stop.

Following the goal, Clemente was replaced by sophomore Anthony Borelli (Grand Island, NY) in the Bears’ net. After not allowing any goals in just over 34 minutes of relief in Friday’s game, Ben Arnt solved Borelli, giving Quinnipiac a 4-0 lead at 14:07.

Clemente finished with 22 saves in 50:55, while Borelli made six in 9:05 of relief. Eric Hartzell helped Quinnipiac post back-to-back shutouts with a 26-save performance.