BOSTON, Massachusetts – Nationally-ranked No. 18 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey defeated No.16 Northeastern, 6-4, in a non-conference match-up at Matthew Arena in Boston, Massachusetts. With the win, Quinnipiac improves to 2-1-1 on the year while they also hand Northeastern its first loss as it drops to 2-1-1.
Quinnipiac featured six different goal scorers, while 11 different Bobcats tallied a point in the win. Nick Jermain(Norwalk, Connecticut) totaled three assists while Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia), Alex Whelan (Ramsey, New Jersey), Tanner MacMaster (Calgary, Alberta), Craig Martin (Trail, British Columbia) and Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota) all had a goal and an assist.
Quinnipiac 6 / Northeastern 4
No. 18 Quinnipiac (2-1-1) | No. 16 Northeastern (2-1-1)
Matthews Arena / Boston, Masachusetts
- (7:39, 1st; QU 1, NEU 0): John Furgele fed Karlis Cukste, who's shot from the point was tipped in front of the Northeastern goal and sent over the cross bar. Alex Whelan picked up the rebound behind the Huskies goal and stuffed it past Huskies' goalie Cayden Primeau.
- (17:24, 1st; QU 1, NEU 1): Northeastern's Nolan Stevens tied the game at 1-1 with a power-play goal late in the first period. Jeremy Davies retrieved a loose puck below the blue line and sent it into the corner. The Huskies got a nice bounce off the bounces before the puck settled on Adam Gaudette's tape below the goal line. Gaudette fed Stevens in the slot, who one-timed the pass and then collected the rebound to knot the game at a goal apiece.
- (1;22, 2nd; NEU 2, QU 1): Dylan Sikura scored his fourth of the season on the power with assists to Davies and Stevens to give Northeastern a 2-1 early in the second period.
- (9:52, 2nd: QU 2, NEU 2): Odeen Tufto started the play when he won the puck deep and then kept it in the Huskies' defensive zone. Tufto passed the puck up-ice to Tanner MacMaster, who was streaking down the left wing, before MacMaster centered a pass to Landon Smith for his 39th career goal 99th career point.
- (10:30, 2nd: NEU 3, QU 2): Patrick Schule broke up an attempted clear behind the Bobcats goal and handed the puck to Gaudette at the goal line. Gaudette walked across the crease and popped in the go-ahead goal just 38-seconds after Quinnipiac tied the game.
- (15:58, 2nd: QU 3, NEU 3): Tufto picked his third goal of the season, and of his last two games, on the power play to tie the game at 3-3. Craig Martin handled the puck in the neutral zone behind giving it to Chase Priskie at the red line. Priskie looked off a defender before sliding the puck behind him to Tufto. Tufto then walked in on goal, spun between two defenders and flipped a no-look back-hand shot over Primeau's shoulder to tie the game at 1-1.
- (19:59; 2nd: NEU 4, QU 3): Sikura potted his second of the period with 1.5-seconds remaining in the period off a pass from Davies.
- (1:04, 3rd: QU 4, NEU 4): Cukste picked up his second point of the night with his first goal of the season to tie it at 4-4. Nick Jermain's shot was deflected across the zone to the boards where it was picked up by Thomas Aldworth. Aldworth then turned and sent it Cukste at the point who wristed it on goal and found the top right corner.
- (9:06, 3rd: QU 5, NEU 4): MacMaster gave Quinnipiac a 5-4 lead just over nine minutes into the period when Luke Shiplo handed the puck to Jermain in the face-off circle to the left of Keith Petruzzelli. Shiplo fed MacMaster who carried the puck the length the ice before beating Primeau, low blocker.
- (14:14, 3rd; QU 6, NEU 4): Craig Martin scored his first of the season to give the Bobcats a two-goal lead with less than six minutes to play. Whelan set-up Jermain in front of the Huskies goal who's shot was stopped by Primeau and sent bouncing in the arm. Martin collected the loose puck in the slow and back-handed a shot on goal.
- Whelan's goal was his team-leading third of the season, and also Quinnipiac's first power-play goal of the year.
- The Quinnipiac sophomore has now scored in three of the Bobcats' four games this year, and seven of his last 11 games dating back to last season.
- On Whelan's goal, Cukste picked up his first point of the season while Furgele picked up his second assist of the year.
- Tufto's assist on Smith's goal gave him a team-high three this season, while MacMaster picked up his fourth point in the last two games after a three-point (one goal, two assists) night against Vermont on Oct. 14.
- Tufto has now tallied a point in four straight games to start his career and has three goals and two assists in his last two games played.
- Despite being out-shot, 38-15, Quinnipiac was 2-for-2 on the power play. Bobcats' freshman goalie Keith Petruzzelli (Wilbraham, Massachusetts) recorded 34 saves for his first collegiate victory.
- Quinnipiac trailed three times in the game, and tied it all three times, before three unanswered goals pushed Quinnipiac to a 6-4 lead late in regulation.
The Bobcats and Huskies square off for the second game of their two-games series on Saturday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. at Matthews Arena.